Wednesday, March 18, 2015

ADDICTION - Get Hooked (1985)

ADDICTION - Get Hooked (1985)
Requested in "REQUEST & FILL CORNER" section...

Here comes a rarity, the only album by the San Francisco quartet ADDICTION entitled "Get Hooked", released by themselves in 1985.
Seems ADDICTION toured the Bay Area circuit and opened for the likes of The Tubes, Quiet Riot, The Outfield and others, but never got a major record contract, so the band founded their own label Independent Records.
This mini-LP is indeed an indie recording, produced by themselves but engineered by Gary Lyons (Aerosmith, Foreigner) so expect more than a decent sound.

Soundwise, "Get Hooked" is a mixed bag. Opener "Shadow Dancer" it's a quite poppy, radio friendly commercial tune including electric drums, not far to the aforementioned The Outfield early works.
"Talk To You" is a good, cool keyboard-driven AOR track with a catchy chorus. The synth sound and style (as on the entire record) is very classy, with a parping approach.

"Desire" is a midtempo with some Gregg Giuffria's Angel on it, "Nostalgia" adds some atmospheres in the vein of Day One (a band already featured here on the blog), while "Insanity" is the hardest track with muscular guitar riffs akin Cinema Face.
"Beware of the Wizard" has some light progressive touches, a slow tune with a pretty early '80s sound, then on "Radio Beat" I was expecting and commercial tune, instead it's some kind of a poppy track with broken drums and riffs.

ADDICTION - Get Hooked (1985) back cover

As you see, there's mixed styles on "Get Hooked", with Addiction trying to resume their abilities into different arrangements. They are successful for the most part, but unfortunately the group disbanded soon and there was not opportunity to hear what would have been Addiction's next musical step.
Audio restored by me. Rare.


1 - Shadow Dancer
2 - Talk to You
3 - Desire
4 - Nostalgia
5 - Insanity
6 - Beware of the Wizard
7 - Radio Beat

Geno Orphanopoulos – Vocals, Bass
Dave Palladino – Keyboards, Backing Vocals
Kip Rich – Guitars, Backing Vocals
Joe Cuneo – Drums, Backing Vocals




ADDICTION - Get Hooked (1985)
.

4 Comments:

Dixon "White" House said...

Super! thanxxxxx

Alberto said...


Camelblue, thank you so much for this enjoyable "flashback". I had this LP in my collection. I bought it in a L.A. record store called "Where the records gone to die", not being quite sure of what I was getting inside that kitsch album cover. Unfortunatelly I sold it in a "clearance madness" of my collection and I just kept a cassette back-up. I just don't remember when I played it the last time... :)

Again, thanks for this unexpected gift full of nice and "teen" memories for me :)

Gene O. said...

Hello everyone. This is Geno Orphanopoulos, Lead Singer, Bassist, Songwriter and Rights Owner with ADDICTION.
Thank you CamelBlue for your thoughtful review of what is technically our EP (less than 8 songs). Those were good times back then in the analog days of recordings, and the Music Biz was changed forever with the introduction of digital formats and worldwide music platforms like Spotify, iTunes, iHeart, etc.
Yes, the band broke up in 1985, but I'm still making and recording new music for any of our great Addiction fans to hear.
I'm still an Indie Artist, and my Artist name is now Gene O. (with a period). There are a few "gene O' artists out there, but only one named Gene O. that can be found on all the music platforms.
I've released my debut Solo Album GENEOLOGY and two singles "Crazy World" and most recently "COOL". A fun fact is that the second track on my album "Sweet Infatuation" was recently featured on Motor Trend's TV Show CAR FIX.
And I'm still keeping busy here with another single planned for release in the first quarter of '23, as well as releasing a remastered album from the band that I joined after Addiction broke up. It's called THE MAKE UP SESSIONS, being released on 11.21.22.
So come by and visit my Official Gene O. Website www.geneo.rocks where you can listen & download all the songs I've recorded, including the entire ADDICTION GET HOOKED Album that I've had professionally digitized from a pristine, still in shrink-wrap vinyl copy of the album onto hi-fidelity FLAC audio files! Man, does it sound great to hear these once more in hi-fidelity since the 2" Analog Master Tapes were lost after we disbanded.
Cheers everyone, and thanks again for helping keep these memories alive and to our faithful fans who we appreciate so much!! Rock On! - Gene O.

Anonymous said...

Geno. Did the band ever get patches made? Id love to add Addiction to my jean jacket with all other bands ive seen. Mandy humphrey